Frist shuffles Senate committee assignments
- By Patience Wait
- Jan 04, 2005
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has announced proposed changes in committee chairmanships and memberships for the 109th Congress.
The committee assignments
are subject to approval by the Republican conference. A spokesman for the Tennessee Republican said a vote by the conference would take place shortly after President's Bush's Jan. 20 inauguration.
The following chairmanships would change:
- Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry: Sen. Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) to replace Sen. Thad Cochran (Miss.)
- Appropriations: Cochran to replace Sen. Ted Stevens (Alaska)
- Commerce, Science and Transportation: Stevens to replace Sen. John McCain (Ariz.)
- Health, Education, Labor and Pensions: Sen. Michael Enzi (Wyo.) to replace Sen. Judd Gregg (N.H.)
- Judiciary: Sen. Arlen Specter (Pa.) to replace Sen. Orrin Hatch (Utah)
- Indian Affairs: McCain to replace retired Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell (Colo.)
- Veterans' Affairs: Sen. Larry Craig (Idaho) to replace Specter
- Aging: Sen. Gordon Smith (Ore.) to replace Craig.