WIT names top female leaders
- By Nick Wakeman
- May 18, 2018
Six of the nine winners of the Women in Technology leadership awards work for organizations with strong ties to the government market.
WIT has recognized women leaders in the Washington area for 19 years as way to celebrate female professionals and the unique vision and talents they bring to the technology field, the organization said in announcing the winners.
“We are at an interesting moment in time for women leaders,” said WIT President Trish Barber. “Through these accomplished finalists, WIT is able to inspire a conversation about what female leadership looks like and the impact women are having on their organizations.”
The winners also will be meeting with WIT’s board to share ideas on how to support female leaders, she said.
The 2018 WIT Annual Leadership Winners are:
- Corporate Large Market Sector – Vicki Schmanske, Leidos
- Corporate Mid-Market Sector – Mile Corrigan, Noblis
- Corporate Small-Market Sector – Meena Krishnan, Inoventures LLC.
- Government – Lynnette Madsen, National Science Foundation
- Rising Star – Christine Antonsen, GEICO
- Small Business/Entrepreneur – Suzanne Porter-Kuchay, SPK Communications
- STEM Leadership – Kristie Grinnell, General Dynamics IT
- Unsung Hero – Christine Lemley, Volkswagen Group of America
- Women in Defense – Mary Legere, Accenture Federal Services
Also honored during their awards dinner was Host Hotels & Resorts. Women in Technology's The Leadership Foundry presented its annual Corporate Board Award to publicly traded company because it has four of 11 board seats are occupied by women, a steady increase since 2012. Part of the Leadership Foundry’s mission is to foster more women on boards by providing training and professional development.
WIT’s President’s Award went to Carrie Drake, chair of the group’s communications committee. The President’s Award is given annually to someone who shows exemplary dedication to the WIT organization.
Nick Wakeman is the editor-in-chief of Washington Technology. Follow him on Twitter: @nick_wakeman.