Dems give Bush a D
A Democratic think tank report blasted the Bush administration for not matching its rhetoric on homeland security with action.
"America at Risk, A Homeland Security Report Card," by the Democratic Leadership Council's Progressive Policy Institute, gave the administration and the Homeland Security Department an overall D grade. The institute found weaknesses in seven areas:
* Intelligence gathering and analysis, which received a D
* Security at the state and local level, a D-
* Controlling the national borders, a D
* Protecting critical facilities, a D
* Protecting against bioterror attacks, a C
* Defending civil liberties and privacy, a C-
* Managing the improvement of homeland security, a D.
"It is unfortunate that the report mainly criticizes and doesn't offer concrete solutions," said Rachael Sunbarger, a spokeswoman for the Homeland Security Department. "We feel we are making progress every day."