Top technologies honored at FOSE
- By Brad Grimes
- Apr 07, 2005
Twelve products were honored yesterday at the FOSE trade show in Washington, D.C. They ranged from a network switch to an electronic voting system to a notebook chip set.
Judges from Government Computer News and Washington Technology scoured hundreds of products on the floor of the Washington Convention Center and representatives of the GCN Lab handed out the Best of FOSE awards. FOSE is owned and operated by PostNewsweek Tech Media, parent company of GCN and Washington Technology.
Among the winners was the Comet 12 from Tadpole Computer of Cupertino, Calif. The Comet 12 is a portable ultra-thin client based on Sun Microsystems' Sun Ray platform. It looks like a slim, 2.5-pound notebook computer but has no local memory or storage and is effectively activated by a smart card. The FIPS 140-2-certified Comet 12 includes wireless security from Fortress Technologies and can access multi-platform, server-based applications from a Sun Ray server.
In announcing the Comet 12 at FOSE, Tadpole CEO Mark Johnston said the company is launching several large pilots of the platform in the next few weeks.
Judges also recognized the latest version of Intel's Centrino mobile computing platform based on its tested ability to bring desktop-level performance to notebook computers. In a review of notebooks based on the new chip set, the GCN Lab recently found that the latest Centrino family provides significantly better performance than previous versions.
Here's a list of all the Best of FOSE winners:
- Adobe LiveCycle Policy Server, Adobe Systems Inc.
- Altova XMLSpy 2005, Altova Inc.
- Apple Remote Desktop 2, Apple Computer Inc.
- Comet 12, Tadpole Computer Inc.
- Gateway 9415 Server, Gateway Inc.
- HP ProCurve 3400cl series switches, Hewlett-Packard Co.
- HP xw9300 Workstation, Hewlett-Packard Co.
- Intel Centrino mobile technology, Intel Corp.
- Kodak i660 Scanner, Eastman Kodak Co.
- MPC Transport X3100, MPC Computers LLC
- Telkonet PLC, Telkonet Inc.
- VoteFiler, Comfidex Corp.