Let unified comms join your existing upgrade projects
Agencies should consider adding unified communications upgrades to projects already under way
Although it might seem counterintuitive, organizations that have already successfully implemented unified communications claim it works best to combine a UC deployment with other changes already in development.
For example, federal organizations are working to consolidate data centers and add better remote access capabilities to achieve compliance with key federal mandates, including the Office of Management and Budget's 25-point plan and the Telework Enhancement Act.
Organizations that have successfully implemented UC, as indicated in CDW-G’s 2011 Unified Communications Survey, reported that along with deploying UC solutions, they are also often doing at least one of the following:
- Establishing a new call center or expanding an old one.
- Integrating or consolidating two or more existing networks.
- Expanding or deploying a telework program for a significant portion of the organization’s workforce.
- Replacing obsolete or inadequate existing networks.
- Implementing a continuity of operations plan and supporting capabilities.
- Integrating branches of distributed operations, such as field offices.
That is why CDW-G executives recommend that IT managers take advantage of the opportunity to update communications systems by discussing with top agency management officials how to couple telework and consolidation improvements with improvements in communications that can enhance the organization’s efficiency and generate savings.