6 priorities for the new OFPP administrator
Daniel Gordon will face a full-slate of issues and initiatives as the new administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy. Here is a wish-list based on interviews with industry experts and observers. Note: The interviews were conducted before Gordon's nomination was announced.
- Be open to industry and ask for its feedback.
- Deal fairly and evenhandedly with industry and policy reforms.
- Encourage innovative approaches to acquisitions.
- Address the growing number of contract protests.
- Break down the two bodies of government acquisition — defense agencies and civilian agencies — by having them use the same definitions and approaches to contracting.
- Focus on the acquisition workforce. Train contracting officers, contracting officer’s technical representatives and program managers to improve the overall procurement process, from solicitation to contract closeout.